Choose one of the main areas which we visit on our field trip, for a more detailed map, pictures and information.
1. The Skaftár lava (Laki) - erupted in 1783-84
2. The Skeiðárarsandur - site of catastrophic jökulhlaup floods in 1996 and often in the past.
3. Katla (Mýrdalskökull) - last major eruption in 1918 and long overdue.
4. Hekla, the medieval entrance to hell - eruptions in 1991, 1981 and 1970. A major eruption in 1947 and many large eruptions in historical time.
5. Vestmannaeyjar - eruption in 1973 led to evacuation of this thriving fishing centre. Today life is back to normal.